Sunday, November 7, 2010

He's Still Too Little

Recently, when checking on Jack after he went to sleep, I noticed he had outgrown his bed. Poor kid sleeps with his arms over his head and his hands and feet touch both ends of the bed. (I should have realized this last month when Jack kicked his dogs out of his bed because he didn't like that they got in the way of his feet while he slept.) Luckily, we bought him a convertible crib. The final conversion stage is to turn it into a full size bed. Jack and I have been discussing this for weeks as I prepared him to move into a new bed. He was so excited about it. He helped me buy new sheets for his big bed. He didn't want red any longer and insisted on blue. Yesterday, we made the change.

HOLY COW! It really is a high bed. I was more than a little worried, but Jack loves it! He is so proud of his big bed. He slept great during his nap yesterday. At bedtime, however, he had some trouble falling asleep...nothing new...and played in his bed for a long time before going to sleep. After awhile, I heard the thud on the monitor and my heart dropped. I ran to his room to find him on his back on the floor. He whimpered a bit and told me he fell out of his bed. No crying and no bruises; I'm so relieved. He went back to bed and soon was asleep. I wanted to immediately switch him back to his smaller bed, but Stuart kept reminding me Jack didn't roll out of bed, he was just playing when it happened and next time he should be more careful when he plays. I'm giving in for now, but I am still worried.

My boy is growing up, I know, but looking at him in that big bed, he just looks so little. I just want to lay next to him and protect him a little longer.

2 comments:

LauraB said...

I'm with you! Shove that bed in the corner and puts lots of pillows on the floor by the exposed side!! Or, you sleep with him to provide the barrier!

Sheri said...

That's the hardest part of being a parent - wanting to protect them all the time! It's really hard for me to stop. Just ask Ian.