Thursday, August 26, 2010

Jack's 3rd Birthday Party

This year, Jack asked for a big Ironman cake for his birthday. But, when we went to Party City, we couldn't find any Ironman cake stuff. Luckily, Jack saw a Lightning McQueen cake pan and asked for that instead. He loved helping make the cake. I let him lick the bowl and he got a bit carried away, sticking his entire head in the bowl.

Well, the cake would not come out of the pan, so we bought one at Costco instead and stuck little cars on it. It was such a big cake that Jack didn't mind at all.

On the morning of his birthday, Jack was so excited!


He got 4 gifts from mom and dad, but there was a minor problem. He opened his Ironman gift first. After that, all of the others were big disappointments.

He did eventually open the rest of the gifts and loved them, playing with them all day. Lesson learned, next time save the best gift for last.

OK. I know that Stuart and I have both said, repeatedly, that we don't believe that kids should have a birthday party every year. We also said Jack doesn't get another party until he is 5.
Well, so much for that idea. Jack has been BEGGING for a birthday party for months. So, we relented and had a party, sorta. We agreed to invite a few of his friends over from the neighborhood for a mini party, just the kids from his playgroup and their older siblings. I said we could swim, eat cake, and put up a bounce house (I own it so it was free.) I didn't do games, goody bags or decorating. I told everyone no presents. Jack was thrilled! He was so excited to have a house full of kids! They are also all getting old enough to play together very well.
Anyone notice a problem with the above picture? Yes, I put 4 candles on the cake. Don't ask me why. No one said a word to me either. I don't know where my head was. When I realized it later in the day, I asked Stuart to help me get a picture of Jack with a piece of his birthday cake, with the right number of candles on it. Jack didn't mind at all, since he got to blow out candles again.
I kept missing the shot, so we actually did this about 10 times before we gave up on getting the perfect picture. I certainly have a patient husband to support my insanity. It was such a fun day. Jack has been playing birthday ever since. He puts his toys in gift bags and brings them to me to open them. I love this kid!

3 comments:

Sheri said...

That video is hilarious! Rowan (Darrel's son) was over and made me watch it 3 times. He thought it was so funny that Jack didn't want his other presents.

LauraB said...

I laughed when you told me about it, but the video is hilarious!! Look at the money you could have saved (although I personally like Wall-E!).

Kim said...

That video is too funny. Happy Birthday to Jack!