Monday, October 18, 2010

Stay at Home Mommy


Many of you know that I am currently looking for a job. It's challenging in this economy to find work, but it's even more challenging to think about leaving my little Jack. Luckily, we aren't in too big of a rush and I can take my time to find the right position for our family. This has made me think a lot about how blessed I am to have been at home with Jack these past few years. When I first left my job, my sister told me that being a stay at home mom was overrated. She said she found it boring and there are big advantages to going back to work. I know that everyone feels differently on the subject and there are no one size fits all solutions...you just have to do what is best for your family. So, in preparation for my eventual return to work, (or maybe just to convince myself to be happy about this...) I started compiling a list of all the disadvantages of being a stay at home mom:
  • I don't have money to spend on nice clothes...but I do have so much fun messing up my cheap clothes with my son.
  • I no longer get to wake up with my favorite daily drink at Starbucks...but I do get to wake up to the sweetest voice I have ever heard.
  • I don't get many adult conversations...but I do have some hysterically funny ones while listening to the reasoning of a child.
  • I don't get to discuss theories of adult education practices (my former career) with people who value my opinion...but I do get to practice child education theories with a very captive and willing audience!
  • I don't get to take vacations with my husband, walking hand in hand, looking at the sights...but I do get to run screaming through the park with a child who is seeing everything for the first time and can't wait to experience more.

Yeah, in the end, I guess there really aren't many disadvantages. The financial sacrifices have been worth it. I am ready and eager to return to work to help support our family financially, but I also recognize how much I will be missing. This makes me so grateful to my husband. He is the hardest working man I know. (Ranks right up there with my dad!) He works his ass off (sorry) to support his family. He provides very well for us and I know that he really worked hard to allow me these precious years with my baby boy. I love you very much Stuart! Hopefully, in the not so distant future I can give you the same gift, letting you retire to spend some wonderful quality time at home with Jack.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I think being a stay at home mom is the hardest job in the world. You are such a wonderful mom to Jack. I think whether we work outside the home or not, the most important thing is how we spend our time when we are at home. I've struggled with being away from my kids, but I do the best I can when I'm home. And lucky for me I have a husband who willingly shares the burden. Whenever and whatever job you find, Jack is lucky to have you for his mom!

Heather said...

I too love being at home with my kids and often feel that I am willing to make sacrifices to do this. I know that not everyone can but I cherish every moment and I know you do too.