Friday, November 4, 2011

Money Lessons

Stuart and I feel very strongly that Jack should be taught the value of hard work and how to manage money. We think this should start from a very young age. Earlier this year, Jack started to get opportunities to earn money. And no, he does not get any money for cleaning up his toys or his room, etc. He is expected to contribute to the house he lives in by cleaning. He was, however, able to earn money by helping with other projects, gardening, etc. OK, if I'm being honest, I occasionally offered him money to try a bite of something new to eat. (In fact, once I offered him $100 to eat peas...this was big because he knew he could get a robot cat for $100. He still refused. He did make a counter offer that he would eat something he liked for $100. Nice try Jack!)

It has been a slow process. To help him along, we allowed him to keep his birthday money this year. (Normally it goes into his bank account.) So, last week when he started asking for a new toy, I informed him he would have to use the money he was saving. He decided he wanted to buy "robot bugs." (That darn advertising on the Cartoon Network!) Anyway, he had $33 saved, so we went shopping at Walmart. The robot bugs and track were just over $26 with tax. I made Jack count out each dollar at the check out. (I explained to the nice couple behind us in line what we were doing and they were so patient while we did this.)

He really loves them! And I am so proud of my little boy.

Of course, now I have to continually remind him that his $6 and change doesn't really buy much, so he will have to start saving if he wants something else. The conversations around this are exhausting. He wants me to buy him something new, but I am insisting he gets nothing else from me until Christmas. (I am trying to stick to that, but you all know I am a sucker for this kid!)

3 comments:

LauraB said...

I think what you are doing is great. Knowing how to handle money and especially how to save money will help him so much as he grows up!

Kim said...

It IS a great thing. When Joe was little I did the same thing. He was a lot more choosey about what he spent his money on when it had to come out of HIS pocket and not mine. Also, he had to work if he really wanted something. I think it's great.

Sheri said...

That is so great. I do that with my kids - it has worked well.