Monday, December 20, 2010

We LOVE Christmas

I love Christmas. I love everything about this season: the decorations, the love, the giving, the charity, and just the magic of it all. Despite his sometimes grinchy (is that even a word?!) behavior, Stuart once told me this is one of the reasons he fell in love with me. He loved my enthusiasm for the season. He loved that although I had no children of my own, I totally got into the season with tons of decorations, activities, and even throwing family gingerbread decorating parties.

As much as I loved it then, it is so much better when you get to live it through the eyes of your child. This year is extra special because Jack is old enough to anticipate what is coming. There is constant excitement in our home. Some of my favorite things about Christmas this year:
  • Jack hugging the Christmas trees.
  • Everything is possible with Jack. He brought me a wrapped present from under the tree. It was addressed to him. It was clearly a DVD. He asked me if it was a silver Ironman. I asked him if the silver Ironman was small like the box. He said no. I asked, "do you think a silver Ironman can fit in that present?" He replied, "yes." I love it!
  • Baking with Jack. He has always loved this, but now he really gets into the whole process and is very helpful!
  • Jack is just so excited! We bought and wrapped Stuart's Christmas present. I explained it was a surprise. The second he saw his dad, he ran up and told him exactly what we got him.
  • Christmas stories. We read one every night. It's a great way for Jack to learn the meanings behind the traditions. Jack's current favorite is Christmas in the Manger.
  • Christmas lights. We can't get enough of them. While driving around delivering Christmas cookies one evening, Jack informed me that we needed to give some cookies to the houses with all the lights. He had a good point; they did deserve them.
  • At random times, Jack will approach me and say, "Mommy, I love you so much. I get a hug?" As I hug him he says, "This is the best Christmas EVER." He does this at least once a day.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love all of the things that kids notice at Christmastime. Jack is so fun.

LauraB said...

That would be great - go up to a nicely decorated house and give them cookies! Jack is on to something there.

Sheri said...

Christmas is so much fun with kids! I love this time of year!