Monday, December 13, 2010

Jack is Awesome...Most of the Time

Last night was rough. Jack didn't take his nap and, despite being great all day, hit the brick wall around 6pm. It started when I gave him an answer he didn't like, so he hit me. I took his storm trooper action figure and put it in the garage; I told him he could have it back in the morning if he behaved. He went crazy and hit me again. I then took his indoor tricycle and put it in the garage. He ran to dad. When I came in the room, he hit me again, so his remote controlled tractor went to the garage. He finally stopped hitting me, but then the crying got worse. It was more like screaming. I am certain the neighbors could hear him. He cried hysterically for about 30 minutes, all through his shower and while he got dressed for bed. (I was surprised at myself for staying so calm.) When I took him to bed, he calmed down and I sang to him until he was ready to fall asleep on his own. Then, I proceeded to lose it. I sat on the couch and cried. Boy, some days, you just feel like the worst mom in the world. I know the hitting is a normal phase, but it still makes you feel like a failure when your kid does it. So, to make myself feel better, I compiled a list of all the awesome things about Jackson:
  • He really is a happy boy. He doesn't get upset often.
  • He is enthusiastic. About everything. And everyone. Sometimes this is embarrassing, like when he hugs other kids who don't want to be touched and they cry, or when he jumps up and down on our house guests in his desire to play. But, I will take that over the alternative...we never have to wait for him to "warm up" to someone. He's always plenty warm!
  • He is pretty fearless. He always climbs the highest slides at the park...the ones meant for much older kids. He went sledding for the first time yesterday with no hesitation...and no assistance. (More on that in another post.) Needless to say, he doesn't shy away from a new experience.
  • He loves to learn. He likes to find out how things work. He commonly asks me what different words mean, and really takes in my answer. If I explain a new word, he begins using it enthusiastically.
  • He is so friendly and is becoming so outgoing. He still asks me to go up to other kids for him when he is feeling shy, but when I remind him that he can do it, he will approach them by himself and ask to play. Last week at the park, he asked an older girl if she wanted to play with him. When she said yes, he turned to me and yelled out, "She said yes! Mommy, she said yes!" He was so excited.
  • He is so loving. When talking to grandma on the phone yesterday, she told him that she needed a hug from her Jack to feel better. He hugged the phone. If he hears a child crying in a store, he will insist we go check to make sure he is okay.
  • He has the best laugh in the world.
  • He is comforting. He always pats my back and tells me everything is going to be okay if I am upset.
  • And, did I mention he is the cutest kid ever?!

The good totally outweighs the bad...it's not even close, but some days we all need a reminder of that fact.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I can tell you that I feel like that a lot - like I am a failure as a mom. And it usually happens when I am struggling with one of my kids behavior. I am so impressed that you stayed calm because that is the hardest part for me.

I love your list.

LauraB said...

I don't know how you kept calm for that long either! Won't you be glad when this phase is over!!