Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Potty Time?

I think it might be time to start potty training Jack. (OK, I know it's time, but in all honesty, I am scared.) I have heard the "experts" who claim all kids are ready by 2 years of age, but I disagree. I am learning that no kid fits perfectly into any developmental schedule. Jack has shown most signs of readiness for awhile, except the crucial one: the ability to clearly communicate. This has been my reason for procrastination. I figured until he can tell me he has to go, there was no sense in pushing the issue.

Well, his ability to speak has improved dramatically in the last 2 months, so I think it is time. He also hates to have a wet or messy diaper. (That is an understatement of monumental proportions.) We have gotten his bathroom painted and ready for him to use. His potty has been in there for awhile and he is very comfortable with it. (Although his desire to use it comes and goes.) And, recently, he has told me he has to go to the bathroom before hand on several occasions. So, the only delay is me. I really feel nervous about doing this. And diapers are so convenient for when you are out of the house with your child....

But, I think it is time to bite the bullet. The other day, Jack woke up from his nap with a dry diaper and insisted on using the potty. SUCCESS! He then refused to put his diaper back on and opted for his Cars underwear instead.

Doesn't he look grown up? He kept them dry and even told me when he had to go again about an hour later. I gave him m&ms as a reward for this accomplishment. He was so proud.

Of course, when his dad came home from work, Jack was too excited to focus on anything else and the accident was unavoidable.
I tried again yesterday, but discovered a problem. When he peed in his underwear, he didn't want to take them off. He cried and threw a fit. He refused a different pair. He wanted his Lightening McQueen underwear. (The lead car in the Cars movie. No other pair would do.) Now, these came 3 to a package, but only the 1 pair is apparently acceptable to Jack. Not good. Later in the day, he found the wet pair in the hamper and tried to put them back on...the ensuing fight was not pretty. This could be more of a hassle than I want to deal with right now.
I am going to try again, but would appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone would like to pass my way.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

If he is that interested you should definitely potty train him now. I think I lost my window of opportunity with Evan and now I don't think he'll ever be potty trained.

Does he like to be naked? You could always let him go naked until his favorite underwear are clean again. I know it's not ideal, but eventually he won't care what underwear you put on him.

Good luck!

Becca said...

When we potty trained Mel - she only wore pants (no undies). That way the trickle down the leg is very apparent. She didn't get undies until she was mostly potty trained.

You could also buy plain undies and the iron on sheets; then print Lighting McQueen on the iron sheets and iron them onto all the undies - viola - several exactly the same undies!

Teresa said...

Thanks so much for the tips!

And, I am definately going to get some iron-on Cars. That is an awesome idea.