Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thankful


Jack is feeling much better and we had a chance to get down to Gilbert Saturday. This was for a car wash held to raise money for my Aunt Shelley. She is struggling with stage 4 lung cancer. I was stunned by the number of people who turned out for the event. There was a non-stop stream of cars and many who just stopped by to donate what they could. There were a ton of friends and family there to wash cars and sell baked goods. I was touched by the show of support. I remember babysitting for my uncle Mike and aunt Shelly when I was a teenager. I have some great memories of not just babysitting, but hanging out at their home. I think they knew our home got a little crowded and had us come over sometimes to just get away. My sister Charlotte and I were reminiscing about some of those times the other day and I know how lucky we were to have them around when we were younger. Most people know I have a huge family. (I know that is an understatement with approximately 100 first cousins. My father is one of 8 children and my mother one of 10 and they all just kept breeding from there.) Because there are so many, I don't see everyone often and easily lose touch. I can't even remember who is who at most family events, but it is so wonderful to know how everyone comes together when they are needed. My uncle Michael is keeping a blog to keep everyone updates on Shelley's condition and it is so wonderful to know how people just come out and do what needs to be done for them. It's those little things that make me so grateful for the network of people out there that I am lucky to be a part of (even if I often think of it as a curse instead of the blessing it is!)

For those of you wondering, they raised $9000.00 at the car wash! And a local business offered to match funds raised, so $18,000.00 is the total! Thank you everyone! If you want to follow Shelley's progress, you can check out the blog at: Shelley.

Anyway, I am so grateful for the health of my family and will not take it for granted. I don't have a pic of my aunt, so I thought I would instead post a pic of my little family that I love so much.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Nothing is more important than family. And yours is beautiful!