Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Replacing One Problem with Another

We had a very rough weekend with Baby Jack. Although his rash seemed to improve, he ran a constant fever, waking up both Sunday and Monday morning very early, screaming in pain with 102.5 temp each time. We gave him Motrin or Tylenol 2-3 times a day, but the temperature never dropped below 100. Of course, when the boy is sick he wants to be held -- a lot! And, mainly by me. We went back to the doctor on Monday and I was very frustrated. We were told the condition seems to be almost cleared and now it appears it was just a yeast infection caused by diarrhea. However, now he seems to have another viral rash all over his body that is causing the fever. We believe it is hand foot mouth disease that was likely picked up from one of the other kids during one of our many visits to the doctor's office. Sheesh! Not enough to be sick, but let's take him to the doctor and make him worse!

Stuart and I are more than a little tired right now. Luckily his fever finally broke last night before he went to bed. (Of course, he woke up because of teething pain, so it's always something!) I just don't want him to hurt anymore.

When Jack is sick, he is especially loving. He has been giving me tons of kisses over the past couple of days. As we were getting him ready for bed last night, he kept coming up and kissing me on the lips. Stuart was getting more than a bit jealous, so I told Jack to give his dad a kiss; Jack responded by kissing me instead. I again told him to kiss his dad and Jack looked at Stuart and again kissed me instead. After multiple attempts, Stuart was tired of the blatant rejection. What can I say? The boy has his preferences when he is sick.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I'm glad he's getting better. Poor Jack and poor you! I know how hard it is to get anything done with a sick child. Hopefully this week will be better - for you and Jack!