Sunday, March 15, 2009

mmmmm...ketchup

Here is Jack enjoying ketchup for the first time. (We had tried it with him before, but he wasn't remotely interested.) Like any kid, he wasn't interested in the rest of his food, just in licking the ketchup. (This was from a couple of weeks ago.)

Jack has been a bizarre eater. He doesn't particularly care for sweets, but will try them on occasion. He will eat most of what we eat, even when it is strongly flavored, including, hot salsa, garlic teriyaki salmon, bagels with sun dried tomato cream cheese, etc. Textures, however, seem to be limiting our menu when it comes to fruits and vegetables. With the exception of broccoli, Jack will only eat pureed vegetables and fruit. I have tried everything, but he won't touch it. I am so tired of buying baby food! And breakfast is a fight every morning. He doesn't want anything to do with breakfast. On occasion he will eat some of my eggs, if I put salsa on them, or he will eat some oatmeal, but only the baby stuff, he doesn't like the texture of regular oatmeal. Sheesh! Any suggestions?

Side note: Dad comes home tonight! Yea! As a homecoming present, Jack learned how to climb out of his crib today. I had the motion sensor monitor turned on in his room when I put him down for his nap. It is designed to ensure your baby is breathing and goes off if no movement is detected for 20 seconds. Once he made his escape, the alarm went off, scaring the crap out of him. Poor baby. That might make him think twice before making the attempt again.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Evan LOVES ketshup. Sometimes I consider that his vegetable for the day (not really, o.k. maybe, sometimes...)

Yay for dad coming home!

Evan has been climbing out of his crib for a while now...I could've really used something to scare him :)

Kim said...

I don't know what to tell you about the food. It sounds like Jack will eat a pretty good variety. It seems like most little kids eat mac & cheese and peanut butter and jelly, so I think you are ahead of the game.

As far as the vegetables and fruits, I would just keep trying. Maybe if you offer it to him enough, he will eventually eat it.

Joe was pretty good about eating his veggies, except for zucchini or squash, but I used to hide those in his pasta (I'd buy the big rigatoni and stuff them inside).

I'm curious, has Jack climbed out of his crib since?

Teresa said...

I like that idea about the rigatoni Kim. Thanks. Oh, and no, he hasn't tried it since.