Saturday, July 19, 2008

Schools?

This picture has nothing to do with the topic, I just wanted to post it because it is my new favorite picture of Baby Jack.

Last weekend we looked at a new home. We really weren't planning to do any home hunting, but the relator is a friend of ours and the home for sale is down the street from her and her husband, so we thought it would be fun to check it out. Well, it was just about everything we wanted: one additional bedroom (which we need,) a basement (which we really want,) a split floor plan (desperately want,) and a gorgeous yard with a pool and lots of grass for Jack (yea!) It is actually double the square footage of our current home. We went home and talked seriously about the house. It needs serious upgrades inside and would really require my returning to work (or us being on a very limited budget.)

We decided we would really prefer that I not work outside of the home. And, to be honest, the cost of the home is based on the Scottsdale zip code. So, as much as we would love our neighbors, we can spend a lot less if we look at a different area. We decided to base our next home on 2 factors, something reasonably close to Stuart's office and the quality of the school district. Which, brings me to a big question. Where are the best schools for little Jack? I have been trying to research schools on-line and there is just so much information, it is overwhelming. So, I'm throwing the question out to all of you Arizona people. What have you heard? What would you recommend? Any thoughts, recommendations, opinions you would like to share? I need help!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I went through the same problem when it was time for Joe to go to school. We live by Frye school and I knew I didn't want him to go there. So, I started asking around, and I almost got too much input. Someone would like a certain school for certain reasons, then I'd talk to someone else, and they hated that school for other reasons. I did try to get Joseph into Bright Beginnings (charter school) because both Sheri and Stacy's kids went there, but every year he got put on a waiting list. We finally gave up. I finally went on line and did a little research about all of the schools in our school district( I didn't want to have to drive him too far). There were 2 or 3 that stood out, as far as academics and were close by. I filled out the forms for all of the schools. He got into 2 of them, and I picked the one that was slightly closer. He has absolutley loved it.

It's not a science, but I really feel that there are pro's and con's about every school out there. Nothing is going to be perfect.

I am now going through the same process again as he is going to be in middle school next year. Do I want him to go to public school, or a smaller charter school? I've got 2 schools in mind, and I'm getting everyone's 2 cents. It's hard to know if you are making the right decision. At least I've got some time to do the research.

Teresa said...

Thanks for your insights. It really is a daunting process.

Sheri said...

I could talk for hours on this. I wouldn't be as concerned about Elementary schools as I would about Middle and High schools. Although ASU opened a K-6 charter school called PolyTech that I'm hearing wonderful things about -small class sizes, innovative learning techniques, ect. The things I would look at are: test scores, kid to teacher ratio, curriculum, ect. I don't know much about your neck of the woods but there are ALOT of excellent schools (charter and public) in Chandler and in Gilbert.

Teresa said...

Thanks Sheri!

Sandy said...

I don't know much about public or charter schools---have heard Bright Beginnings is a great charter school. About preschools---I heard of a great one in Chandler called Step Ahead.