Monday, July 21, 2008

Loving Baby

Friday night we had some friends over for a BBQ and were up late talking on the patio (it's been awhile since Stuart and I have been up late at night.) It was so nice to take the monitor outside and enjoy the time with our friends while Jack slept. Well, of course, as punishment, baby Jack decided to wake up extra early on Saturday morning (5am!) We were very tired by Saturday night and eager for the baby to go to sleep. To make things more difficult, Jack is getting his molars in and requires a little more help getting to bed at night as a result. I tried everything, but that kid didn't want to go to sleep. I was tired, my back was hurting from holding him, and to make matters worse, my thoughtful husband had already gone to sleep and I could hear him snoring in the other room. (selfish bastard!) For those of you who don't know, I am an emotional person, but when I am tired it is even worse. I was trying to rock Jack to sleep and I was crying. My sweet little boy just looked up at me with concern and gave me a kiss on the lips. Not the big slobbery kisses he usually does, but a sweet little peck. In fact he slowly gave me about 20 kisses. (no exageration.) I cried then out of love for his concern.

He is so aware of other people's emotions now. Sometimes that is difficult, as he is sensitive. He had a playdate with Savannah last week who is 18 months old and she kept hitting him on the head; not hard, but Jack was just stunned. He would cry, not out of pain, but the kind of cry he does when his feelings are hurt (usually reserved for when I tell him no.) This awareness is new. It was just so touching to see he could also know his mother was upset and try to comfort me.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm the same way - if I'm tired or hungry - watch out! What a sweet little boy - it's so neat that you are noticing these little things about his personality at this early of an age.

LauraB said...

Let's hope he's as generous with his concern when it's ME that's crying because he won't stop crying Saturday night!!!!

Kim said...

I think that's the sweetest story ever. Joseph is a very sensitive kid. I love that about him.

Sandy said...

That is so sweet---like I said before you deserve every kiss you get. You, daughter, are loved more than you know!!!!!