Saturday, August 13, 2011

Meet Tom and Jerry

Today, my husband insisted we get Jack an early birthday present...2 guinea pigs. I'm not sure if this was a good idea, but Jackson is so happy, how can I complain.


Let me back up the story a few days. You all know that Jack has wanted a pet for a long time. The fish is nice, but since he can't hold it...it just isn't the same. The last few days, Jack has been asking for a dog AND a cat. His rationale is that he wants them to run around and chase each other around my kitchen. (He really thinks this point will help sell me on the idea...oh, how wrong he is.) When I explain that although we might find a dog that dad isn't allergic to, there are NO cats that he isn't allergic to. Not to worry; Jack has a plan. His idea is that the cat can live in his room so that it won't bother his dad. (Good thinking Jack.)


Well, this morning, we drove down near the airport to find an office building that I have an interview at Monday morning. I didn't want to be driving around Phoenix trying to find it the morning of the interview and wanted to know where I was going ahead of time. (Yes, I am looking to return to work...long story...kinda sad...I'll save it for another post.) Anyway, we talked to Jack about what we were doing and he cried and got upset about my going to work. Let me clarify that he was only MILDLY sad and this is not the first conversation I have had with him to gear him up for mommy going to work, but this was the first conversation that Stuart was present for. As we were driving home, Stuart wanted to stop at Petco to look at some filters for a bigger fish tank for Jack (one he bought at a garage last weekend...a silly purchase if you ask me.) In the course of looking around Petco, Jack got to hold one of the guinea pigs. Before I knew it, Stuart was picking out a cage and 2 guinea pigs to take home. (You can't buy just one cause they get lonely.) WHAT?! Money is tight right now, so what the heck was he thinking?! 2 guinea pigs, plus a cage. What happened to not getting anymore pets? Jack was so excited he couldn't get to the checkout quick enough...because he's no dummy and knew his parents were likely to change their mind any minute. I was in shock at what was happening. Stuart explained to Jack that it was early birthday present. He then explained to me that Jack was so upset about my going to work that he thought this was necessary. When we got home, Stuart sat Jack down and explained that the guinea pigs were nervous to be in a new home, but that they would feel better after a few days. He also told Jack that although preschool would be new and he would miss mommy while she was at work, that he would feel better too. I was touched. It was so sweet and unexpected.


But, I still don't want to clean out the cage.


P.S. After much argument, I convinced Jack to name them "Tom" and "Jerry." He thought we should just call them "guinea pig." Only after I threatened him with returning them to the pet store did he agreed to naming them Tom & Jerry.


P.P.S He sang to them the whole way home to make them feel better...a made up song telling them to they shouldn't be scared and they would like their new home.

2 comments:

Kim said...

That is so sweet. And really it is kind of a good idea during this time of transition for him. Tom and Jerry are cute.

Sheri said...

Jack looks so happy! I love it!