Saturday, August 20, 2011

Little Boy...

Thursday night, I laid with Jack until he fell asleep. In all honesty, he was tired and was asleep in about two and a half minutes, but it was so beautiful to watch him as his eyes closed and he fell into a blissful sleep. It is a rare thing to see these days. For years now, he has gone to sleep on his own. But, when he was a baby, he almost always went to sleep in my arms. I sometimes miss that. He is too grown up to need me the way that he used to. In fact, one night when I was putting him to bed, I teased him and told him to stay awake because I was going to come back in a few minutes. He told me, he couldn't, that he was too tired, and that I would have to just check on him when he was asleep.

He is growing up so fast. He straddles the line between little boy and big boy. He loves grown up cartoons, like Ben 10, but still love Curious George. Sometimes he asks me to carry him cradled in my arms, but he will always correct me if I call him my baby, telling me he is a big boy, not a baby.

I love this picture. I took it after he went to bed one night when he asked to sleep with his Jack Russel dogs and his kitten Aiden...something he doesn't do very often anymore. It reminds me that he isn't grown up yet, he is still my little boy.

2 comments:

Kim said...

This post nearly made me cry. I miss those days when my boy was little. They went by way too fast.

Sheri said...

I am having such a hard time with Evan getting older. A part of me wants him to be small forever. I loved this post.