Monday, August 22, 2011

Dear Jack

My Dear Sweet Jack,

Today, you turn 4 years old and, once again, I am overwhelmed by my emotions. My heart is full of love and admiration for you, but perhaps more than anything, I feel pride. I am so proud of you. You are growing into such a sweet, caring little boy. I wish I could take credit for it, but if I am being honest, I can't. Your sweet spirit is something you were born with and despite all my parenting mistakes, you just get better each day.

You are so happy, and you try so hard to make others happy. You are the first to hug and care for your friends and family. Just today, you sat next to your dad on the couch and said, "Dad, let's be happy together." You then flashed him the biggest grin I have ever seen. Your happiness and enthusiasm is contagious. Our house is brighter with you in it.

You wear your heart on your sleeve and your feelings are hurt easily. It's a trait you and I share. And, I know you will experience pain as you grow; I wish I could shelter you from that, but I also understand I can't protect you from everything. Just know that when you hurt, I hurt. And no matter what happens, I will be on your side. I will be there to help you up, to comfort you, to cheer you on, to love you. I will be whatever you need me to be for you.

I am so blessed to have you as my son. You make me a better person, as I strive to be the type of parent that you need. I will continue to try to be the mother you need, to help you develop and grow into the best person you can be. I am so grateful to God for trusting me with such a special child. I love you with every part of me.

Your Mom

5 comments:

Kim said...

Ok, this one did make me cry. You are such a good mom. Jack is just as lucky to have you, as you are to have him. I'm just glad you appreciate him. I know too many parents who don't appreciate their kids as much as they should. It makes me sad.

Thanks for this.

Teresa said...

I cry every time I write these birthday letters. I try not to think about them ahead of time because I don't want it to be scripted and as a result I am super emotional.

Sheri said...

You made me cry too. Thank you for helping me remember why I love being a mother so much. It's such an honor to nurture and guide these spirits that are sent to us. You are an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Wow Teresa - that was beautiful.. It made me cry.. I'm so sad that I wasn't there, but it looks like he really enjoyed himself.. He is growing up so fast and is becoming more and more handsome - each day!! <3 & miss u!!