Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blankets


It's no secret that Jack is a blanket baby...or should I now say, blanket boy...either way, that kid loves his blanket and sleeps with it every night. Having been a blanket baby myself, I prided myself on handling the situation pretty well. We limit it's use to indoors and I even thought ahead and bought 2 of them so we would always have a back up blanket available. When we went on vacation, I was extra careful. I didn't trust them packed into our checked luggage, and instead brought them in our carry-on bags.
All was well until we recently returned home from Hawaii, when I discovered we only had one of his blankets. I distinctly remembered packing both of them...it was the first thing I did. But, I guess I must have removed one to make room for Jack's toys and snacks and then never put it back in the bag. I called the hotel on a Sunday and they agreed to ship it back to us. YEA. The next day, however, I gave Jack some Silly Putty to play with and sure enough he got it ground into his blanket. I tried, but could not get it out. Seriously?! 3 years of success with his blankets and I manage to mess with both of them in 2 days?!
In desperation, I thought I would check eBay. I originally bought the blankets on clearance at Victoria's Secret 3 years ago, so I wasn't especially optimistic that anyone was still selling these. But, surprise, surprise, I found someone selling 2 of them...brand new. They charged 3 times the price I paid for them, but I bought one immediately. After a pleading email to the seller explaining the situation, she promised to get it in the mail the next day for us.
As I waited, I cut the Silly Putty out of his remaining blanket, leaving it with huge holes in it. Jack seemed to be OK with that. (I waited until he was asleep so he wouldn't see me do it.) Luckily both blankets arrived in the mail the same day...the one we left in Hawaii and the brand new one. Hallelujah!
Let me say, I didn't realize how worn they had become in 3 years time. The new one is so soft and comfortable. I thought Jack would love it. He doesn't. He only likes his old blankets. Really?! I guess I could just wash the new one until it is old and gross like the other ones...who knew?

2 comments:

Kim said...

It's funny that he likes the older blankets over the new one. Once he breaks it in, it will be just fine.

Sheri said...

I want one!