Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sleep Talker




Jack talks in his sleep. This is nothing new, he has done this since he was a baby; back then, however, it consisted of babbling, crying, and giggling in his sleep. I don't think we realized just how much he did it until we shared a hotel room with him in Hawaii. It's a LOT. Now that he is older, it's fun since we understand what he is saying. When he wakes from a nightmare, I am always surprised about what it was regarding. Once he told me, through tears, that his Ironman fell in the potty. Another time he was upset because his friend Jamie (from down the street) had taken his toy. Sometimes it is more vague, like when he frantically asked to "get it back."


A couple of nights ago Jack had a really bad dream and we woke to him screaming out "mommy" at the top of his lungs. Stuart graciously agreed to go to try to calm him down...okay, maybe I insisted it was his turn, but whatever...after a couple more screams, it was apparent that only mommy would calm him down and I stumbled into Jack's room to take over the situation. The second he saw me, he relaxed and for some unknown reason, he began to try to soothe me. He told me, "It's okay, you can watch turtles another time." He then pulled my head close to his, leaned his forehead against mine and whispered, "It's okay...everything's under control." All while stroking my face. Once he laid back down, I told him good night and went to leave his room, he called out, "I miss you mommy."


He's too cute and precious to be upset about the interrupted sleep.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Awww...

the other night Evan woke up screaming. He said he dreamed that I died. I've never seen him that upset.

Teresa said...

Poor Evan...that must have been terrifying.

Kim said...

Joe used to talk in his sleep a lot. Every once in a while he still does it.