Monday, June 28, 2010

Bad Boy Hurt Jack

When Stuart is out of town, I try to do one new thing with Jack while he is away. It's my attempt to make his dad's absence easier on him. Yesterday, we ventured down to the the Children's Museum of Phoenix. This place was awesome and Jack had a blast. I can't believe I haven't taken him sooner. There are so many activities aimed specifically for younger kids.
We ran into some trouble, however, in the car section. The kids get to climb up a ramp and race cars down a track. To race the cars, they have to climb up 4 steps to reach the chute. Jack was happily playing with this game with 2 other children who were around the same age. Of course, no kids are good at sharing at this age, and they all pushed to get to the top spot. One little boy didn't like Jack trying to climb up behind him, so he turned around and shoved him. Jack flew down the stairs and landed on the metal grate...face down! I was panicked and flew up the ramp, heart racing. Jack cried hysterically, which is terrifying since he doesn't often cry when he is physically hurt. The staff was great and got him some ice for his eye and even checked back in later to make sure he was ok.
Jack soon calmed down and went back to playing the same game. (After this incident, he was so good and taking turns! I was so proud of him.) I, however, took awhile to get my heart rate back under control.
What still bothers me is the father of this kid was standing next to me when it happened and said NOTHING to his son. Not one word. I understand that kids need to accept consequences when they push or shove, but this was way too severe a lesson for Jack. I am still angry that the father didn't think his son needed to be told that hurting another person is not ok, EVER.
When we got home, I asked Jack if he wanted to look in the mirror to see the blood on his eye. Normally, he likes the blood part, so I thought he would think it was cool; I was wrong. He began crying again and said the "bad boy hurt Jack." It was rough calming him down again.
My poor baby. I physically hurt when he hurts and it never gets any easier.

It actually looks a little worse today. Being the brave kid that he is, he has already asked to return to the museum.

6 comments:

Amelia and Erik Lambson said...

Aurora was pushed down by another kid, who was at least a couple years older than her, in the waiting room at the doctor's office once. She wasn't hurt bad but still crying, mostly I think because she was not used anyone being mean like that. Like with your situation the mother of the older child watched the whole thing and did NOTHING. It is amazing to me that someone would let their kid bully another and not say a word.
I know how you feel when your child is hurt your heart just breaks.

Kim said...

Seriously, If it was MY kid that did that to someone else, I would be checking to see if the other kid was ok, and apologizing profusely.

Poor Jack. He's a trooper. I hope he feels better soon.

Sheri said...

When Max was about that age a little girl bit him at Peter Piper Pizza. His mom just watched and said nothing. It made me so mad. That's how bullies are made!

Poor Jack :(

LauraB said...

Man, I wish I had been with you. I think I would have said something to the negligent parent!! Is his eye black now?

Teresa said...

No, but his cheek is a little blue. He looks a little battered.

Teresa said...

I take that back. His eye is black today.