Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I - DI - OT

So, Jack has become quite the talker these days. I love that I can better meet his needs now that he can articulate them. There are, however, still many miscommunications that occur. Last month, we were all in the car running some weekend errands, when Jack says, IDIOT, carefully drawing out each syllable, "I...DI...OT." Stuart and I are stunned. I can't imagine where he picked the word up. (Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad words he could have picked up from me, but this isn't one I say.) Jack keeps repeating it, "I..DI..OT. I...DI...OT Mommy." Stuart and I keep telling him that is not a nice word and to stop saying it, but he won't stop. About a week later, when he and I are alone in the car and he is saying it again, it hits me. "We there yet?" This is what he had been saying all along. I owe that kid an apology for assuming the worst....bad mom!

Here are some of my favorite Jack phrases:
  • He fakes cough and holds his throat, saying, "I sick Mommy. Need apple juice."
  • When Jack is watching one of his shows on TV and I am talking to Stuart, he tells me, "Mommy, Don't Talk Daddy!"
  • Once, when using the potty, he grabbed himself, so I asked him, "Is that your penis?" He responded, "Yes, it's a big penis."
  • He told me, with much concern, that I had "polka dots" on my shoulder. I guess that is what freckles look like to a 2 year old.
  • Last week, after we put him to bed for the night, he called out, "I need help Mommy." I came to check on him and he told me his arm was hurt because Ironman shot him.
  • There are many more examples, but my favorite is when Jack throws his arms wide and asks, "I get a hug mommy?" And when I hug him, he says so sweetly, "I love you."

4 comments:

Sheri said...

I loved it when my kids start to talk. The things they say are the best! My favorite thing Evan says right now is: "Is it time for go?" meaning "is it time to go?". I love how he mixes up his words.

Kim Horak said...

What a cutie. I love the video. That's gotta make your day when he does that.

Becca said...

Jack is adorable. Melanie learned the word "Idiot" from Master Shifu on Kung Fu Panda. Does Jack like Kung Fu Panda?

He sounds adorable too!

Teresa said...

He didn't care for Kung Fu Panda a few months ago, but we usually try to reintroduce movies later...because you never know when he will start liking something.