Friday, August 28, 2009

Falling Asleep

Jack usually falls asleep pretty well on his own. This is due, in large part, to his bedtime rituals. I'm a big believer in routines for children and can attest to how tremendously helpful they are with getting Jack to sleep at night. Once Jack is in his crib for the night, however, he can sometimes take up to 45 minutes to actually fall asleep. Most of the time he is just playing in his crib. Sometimes, he drags it out by asking for drinks or by fake crying. Luckily, I have recently discovered a new trick. If he seems to be having some trouble getting to sleep, I come in and make a big deal about putting all of his animals to sleep and covering them up with his blanket. I then get Jack to lay next to them to keep them company. Works like a charm!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Melanie puts her turtle to sleep every night - it is a wonderful trick I must admit! I love that Jack always has his blue blanket with him.

LauraB said...

That is just too cute!!

Kim said...

What a genius move. I have NEVER been able to get Joe to go to sleep. Even with all the routines and everything. He is definitely a kid who needs routines. And, he is the king of stalling and dragging things out. Our 20 minute bedtime ritual sometimes takes up to an hour.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent there. Jack looks so peaceful there.

Teresa said...

I think we only got a good sleeper as a trade off for all the crazy he dishes out when he is awake. It's God's way of saying, "get your rest mom and dad, you're going to need it!"

Sheri said...

I wish that worked for Evan. We just moved him to a bed and I have to lay by him for an hour each night.

It's getting old.