Monday, August 10, 2009

ADDICTION

Yes, Jack is now completely, hopelessly, obsessed with his blanket.

When I first bought it for him, I thought it was the best thing in the world. It brought him comfort, reminded him of me, and helped him fall asleep by himself at night. And, because I was a blanket baby, I thought I was careful in the limitation I set. The blanket was never allowed to leave the house. No matter how upset Jack got, it stayed behind when we left. After our recent move, Jack was even getting very good at putting the blanket into his crib himself before we walked out the door. (I liked making him do it because I didn't have to be the bad guy; Instead, we made it his decision to put it away if he wanted to go somewhere.) I even put it away periodically during the day without objection.
Well, the last 2 weeks have been different. Jack must have his blanket with him. He cries in the shower, asking for his blanket. He wants it while he eats...which makes a big mess. He throws a fit when we try to take his blanket from him. When I try to leave, he tells me "no" and runs away with his blanket. If he finds the second blanket, or my matching robe hidden in the house, he insists on having it too. I'm not sure why the sudden change. I can only guess it has to do with having his sisters and his cousin here...maybe he feels he needs extra security.


I don't know, but I am worried. This could get ugly.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Maybe with the move and all the excitement going on, he likes having something that is familiar?

Who knows. I made the mistake of giving Evan a binkie. I think he's going to be starting college with that thing. I'm horrible because even though I want to get rid of it I give it to him when he's upset. Because I know it makes him feel better.