Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dear Jack

My Dear Sweet Jack,

Today, you turn two years old and I am filled with emotion. Today marks the day you are no longer a baby. Now you are a little boy.

I want you to know what an important part of our family you are. I waited a long time for you. From the time I was a little girl, I always knew I wanted to be a mother. You came into my life much later than I expected, but God knew I had to wait until the right time. He knew there were experiences I needed to have before I could be your mother. God sent you to us when I was ready. He waited until your father and I were at a point in our relationship where we were ready for you; a time when we were deeply in love and wanted you so much. He waited until your sisters were at an age that they were ready to welcome a little brother into their hearts. You are a perfect fit to our family and you bind us together in ways I never dreamed possible.

I am so honored to raise you. With each new phase you enter, I am not sad about those left behind, but am thrilled to experience the next one with you. You are a joy. You are the most energetic child I have ever seen. You do not rest. You are constantly moving, experiencing, and exploring. You keep us on our toes. You are also the happiest child I have ever seen. Your smiles and giggles fill me with pure joy each day. You are always sweet and loving. You often insist on cuddling with your dad and I, ensuring both our arms are wrapped tight around you. And you give the sweetest kisses! My life is better because of you.

I constantly feel inadequate in raising you. I know I am making mistakes on a regular basis, but know that I am trying my best and I am always thinking about your needs. I promise to do my best to prepare your for the years to come. I will help you become the best person you can be. I will try to encourage you, without pushing and to comfort you, without scolding, so you can achieve all that you dream of…

Thank you for being my son. You have taught me so much already. You have taught me empathy. You have taught me increased patience. Most importantly, you have taught me to enjoy each small moment in life. These past two years have been wondrous and I look forward to our time ahead. I love you with all my heart.

Your Mom

4 comments:

LauraB said...

You are an awesome mother - Jack is extremely lucky!!

Sheri said...

I agree with Laura. It's obvious from all of your posts how much you enjoy being a mother. And what a great mother you are.

I loved the part where you talk about Jack really binding your family together. I feel the same way about Evan. I can't imagine my life without him in it.

Becca said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!

Beautiful letter Teresa!

Kim said...

What a sweet letter. It made me cry.

It's true. You are a great mom. Jack is lucky to have you (and vice versa).