Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tantrums

Saturday we all went to the Fountain Hills Art Festival. We have been trying to find a painting for the family room that we could both agree on for a couple of years. We finally found one and even got a heck of deal on it. (We are both bargain shoppers and love to negotiate.) I had looked at the painting on Friday with some friends and when Stuart and I returned on Saturday, the artist immediately offered $100 off. Good sign he was flexible on price. Stuart got him down another $150. I then talked him into taking a final $50 off the price. We were very excited. Doesn't it look great?

Anyway, we got it home and up on the wall and Jack was very excited. He kept climbing on the couch to grab it and pound his fists into it. I kept telling him "no," and would pull him away from the painting. He then proceeded to throw his first serious tantrum. He screamed and cried. He tried to bite me when I pulled him away. The little booger even tried to grab my face to bite me in frustration. When I didn't let him, he bit his own arm. He was so angry and upset. We have never seen anything like it. By Sunday, the appeal of the painting seemed to have worn off and Jack left it alone. Tuesday, however, he thought he would give it another try. He waited until I was otherwise occupied and climbed up on the couch. He then looked over to make sure I was watching him before he slapped the painting. Then he laughed while I ran over to stop him. What is up with that?! Yesterday, he tried a new approach. He would climb up on my lap when I was on the couch and give me several kisses and then sneak his hand behind me to grab the painting. I would pull him away and tell him no, and he would kiss me again and then make another attempt. He is a sneaky boy. Don't let his sweet face fool you. This boy is starting to fight for control of the house. He may be little, but he has powerful tools at his disposal.

6 comments:

LauraB said...

He looks liek his plotting something right now in that picture!

LauraB said...

OK - that's "like he's" not "liek his" - I'm in too much of a hurry!!

Sheri said...

He and Evan could be twins! Evan is the same way. And whenever I get mad, he just laughs.

Your kid keeps getting cuter and cuter.

Kim said...

I love the painting. The colors really compliment the color on the wall. It's good you found something you could agree on, and even better that you got such a great deal. I too am a bargain shopper. I love getting a great deal on something.

Jack is a very smart boy. He also seems very determined to get what he wants. How can you be mad at that cute face?

Anonymous said...

Oh, sista -- you ain't seen nothing yet! Just wait...it gets even more entertaining.

Wyatt's been known to smack me too when he gets mad. He didn't respond to the firm "NO!" so now I put him down and tell him to go somewhere else until he wants to say he's sorry and give me a hug. He hates it when I don't pay attention to him. He'll put himself in a timeout for a while then eventually come give me a hug when he can't take it anymore. Hitting seems to be less and less, although it took a couple of weeks and a lot of crying to finally make the connection. Stay strong, friend!!!
Alex

Sheri said...

By the way, LOVE the painting.