Monday, November 24, 2008

Bedtime Stories


From very early on, we have made reading a part of Jack's bedtime routine. It has been so fun to watch his interest grow and change over time. He used to giggle and laugh so hard during the Dr. Seuss stories that I had to then switch to something else to calm him down.

Now that he is older, he definately has his favorites and they change. For awhile it was the ABC book. Currently, it is the Foot Book. He puts his foot into the middle of the book to show his foot as you read. He insists on turning the pages, and you better read fast because he turns them fast. He also calls out "mom" when we get to the pig page. (I don't know what that is about, but I am not too happy with it!) Jack insists that we read it multiple times each night, getting very upset if we don't read it at least 5 times. He absolutely prefers me to read instead of dad. Sometimes, when Stuart is reading, he will grab at my shirt and pull me over to the book so that I will take over.

We always finish the session with Good Night Moon. However, we have to stop when we get to the page that says "Good Night Kittens." Jack starts making happy noises and pets the page. He then takes my hand and puts it on the page to pet the cats. Recently he began grabbing my hand when I am on the previous page in anticipation of what is to come. After the kitten page, he has no more interest in the book. By the way, the Good Night Moon book is trashed. He has torn off the back page and eaten through many of the others. When is he going to stop putting everything in his mouth?!

I do love that he is so interested in books. He brings them to me all day long to read to him. It's a great habit for him.

4 comments:

Kim said...

When Joe was little he LOVED the Foot Book too. He'd say the words along with me. He also loved Winnie the Pooh, but would giggle every time you said "Pooh". He's such a boy. Other favorites were "The Sheep Made a Leap." He would act out what all of the animals did in the book. And, our favorite bedtime book was "Time For Bed". I still have the book. It is old and beaten to death, but I will never get rid of it.

I love children's books, can you tell. I'm glad that Joseph still loves to read. It's something we can always do together.

LauraB said...

Reading is so important - when he gets old enough, make sure you make trips to the library, too!!

Sheri said...

I need to read to Evan more. All my boys have loved the book "It's time for bed" when they were little.

Teresa said...

Thanks for the book suggestions. I'm always looking for new ones. I had a ton before Jack was born from a Children's Literature class I took in college, but I love adding to the collection.