Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep Problems

Then...

Now...


We all had a very tiring, sleep deprived weekend. I should start by acknowledging that we are very lucky when it comes to Jack and sleep. He is a great sleeper. From very early on, he slept through the night. And, he is usually on a very good schedule, sleeping from 7:30pm to 6am. (Most nights, anyway.) And, since I quit work, we even have some fairly good napping going on each day. This last weekend, however, was a challenge.

I should start by providing some background: I talk in my sleep; mumble is more like it, according to Stuart, which frustrates him because he can't really understand me. Since Jack was born, it has apparently gotten worse. I have been known to sing lullabies in my sleep (not cute as I am not a good singer.) Apparently, I also ask Stuart to check on Jack in the middle of the night (I think he might be exaggerating this one, but whatever.)

Anyway, we bought this great baby monitor that includes a motion sensor to ensure your baby is breathing. If it doesn't detect any movement for 20 seconds, it sounds an alarm. Very reassuring to parents who worry about their baby breathing. Well, Jack is a restless sleeper and rolls all around his crib at night. He often ends up tangled in his blanket, crammed into a corner, or sleeping with his feet up against the walls of the crib. This usually isn't a problem since the monitor is very sensitive and picks up the movement anywhere in the crib. On Friday night, however, he was so far in the corner of his crib that the sensor couldn't detect his movements and the alarm went off just after midnight, sending both Stuart and I into instant panic mode. Jack was just fine. In fact, the alarm startled him and he moved right back into position where the sensor could monitor him and he didn't even wake up. I, however, was a mess after that, waking every 30 minutes to check on him. Once I finally fell asleep, I had quite the nightmare. You know the one where you try to scream, but nothing comes out? And you panic and try harder and harder to scream with no luck? It's terrifying. Well, I guess at some point I actually did scream, because I woke up to being slapped in the face. Not once, mind you, but twice. Now, Stuart claims he was sleeping soundly, when I started screaming. He said he tried to wake me gently and only resorted to a gentle slap when I wouldn't wake up. (I'm not sure I buy this and I really don't understand why a second slap was necessary.)

So, our weekend got off to a lousy start. Jack, was all off his routine, not really napping until very late in the afternoon and then not going down to sleep until very late in the evening. So, we are a bit tired. I am now all hopped up on caffeine this morning just to try and function!

6 comments:

Sheri said...

I think every parent's worst nightmare is something happening to their child - no wonder you were a basket case Friday night!

Btw, I loved your writing in this post - I laughed out loud multiple times :)

Heather said...

Those pictures below are great. I am glad you are willing to put the time and effort into taking the picture.
What a crazy night! Now I can't decide if I want one of those alarms or not in the future.

Becca said...

Ha Ha Ha - Great story Teresa! But, as least your baby sleeps through the night - Melanie has given me the wonderful gift of "Geez, Becca you look so tired", or "I think you should go home early and get some rest"! This is what I hear at work all the time!

Happy 8 months Jack! Is that the magical blanket behind him? How much do magical blankets go for these days?

Teresa said...

It is THE blanket Becca. You know, it came in pink and I tried to get it on-line for you, but they were sold out! Sorry! The only thing I found out with Jack is that if he must fall asleep on his own in his crib, otherwise, when he wakes during the night he won't go back to sleep on his own.

Heather, I still highly recommend the motion monitors. This is the only time it has gone off and it really is reassuring.

Charlotte said...

I can't wait till I'm mad at Bill again. I'm just going to slap him in the middle of the night and tell him he was screaming in his sleep!

LauraB said...

I miss my Jack-Jack!! Uh, Stuart, do we need to have talk???