Friday, April 4, 2008

Hallelujah!

I thought it would never happen, but finally, my prayers have been answered! My baby falls to sleep by himself! And he sleeps all night in his own crib! I thought I would be breast feeding this boy to sleep forever. It all started with a blanket. Stuart bought me this great super-soft robe from Victoria's Secret for Christmas. It is bright blue with white dots and I love it; so does Jack. He tries to eat the sleeves, or the sash, all the time. Anyway, I was looking through the VS catalog last month and I saw that they had blankets made to match the robes, and they were on clearance. I immediately ordered 2 of them. So, after a couple of missed attempts, Jack now goes down to sleep at 7pm with his blanket and quietly fusses and plays until he is asleep. No crying. It has been going on for 2 weeks straight now and I am thrilled! (I know you aren't supposed to put a baby to sleep with a blanket, but we do have the nice motion sensor baby monitor that sets off an alarm if no movement is detected, so I feel comfortable knowing he is breathing all night.) Doesn't he look peaceful?
Also had to post a quick bath shot. We had originally used a nice plastic baby tub for bath times (a nice gift from my friend Silvia.) As he got bigger, we moved him to the bathtub, with the help of a mat and a baby ramp (thanks again Silvia!) We realized he hadn't ever taken a bath in the kitchen sink. Such a classic photo option (and easier than leaning over a bathtub.) So, we thought now that he is sitting up a little (with help) we ought to give this a try. Well, the first time he cried. Surprising for a kid who loves the bath. We tried a week later and he seemed to like it better, but didn't want to sit up for it. It cracked me up because he really is too big to kick back in the sink, but I guess he wanted to do it his way.

6 comments:

Becca said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I love the bath photo! He looks so "chill" relaxing and reading in the tub - it's absolutely adorable!

So, I guess we need to buy Mel a Victoria's Secret Blanket. She is currently insisting on sleeping with me - I will rock her for one-three hours, make sure she's asleep, lay her down and she starts crying. It feels so hopeless - I'm glad there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Sheri said...

Sheez, I never knew you weren't supposed to put a baby to sleep with a blanket. I do it and have always done it. I love it when they finally go to sleep on their own.

That picture in the sink is hilarious. Seriously.

Teresa said...

I understand exactly how you feel Becca. I was in tears about it every night because I didn't know how to break the cycle. I tried and couldn't let him cry himself to sleep. He just loves having the blanket to fidget with and as long as he is tired he will be asleep within 10 minutes of playing with his blanket.

LauraB said...

That bath picture has got to be sent in somewhere - The Ellen show or something. It is priceless!!

Charlotte said...

I'm submitting that photo for a contest. Don't worry Jack will get the $$.

Anonymous said...

Bryan Allen loves the pictures