Monday, March 1, 2010

Bedtime Delays

Jack is becoming a pro at his attempts to delay bedtime. These are a few of my favorite tactics:

  • When we tell him it is time for bed, he will try his best to convince us he should sleep in our bed, climbing in, pulling up the covers and looking so dang cute I almost want to say yes.
  • When I put him in his bed, he will ask, "see Daddy?" When I tell him daddy is going to sleep too, he then asks, "see Grammie/Pappa?" (They are apparently one person now.) When I tell them no, he then asks, "see Bremen?" For some reason, these are the only people he asks for at bedtime.
  • He now tells me he is "scared." When I remind him that he isn't scared, he will then tell me "snakey scared." (He often sleeps with his rubber snake.)
  • He always needs one last drink.
  • He always wants me to "rock you" or "cuddle face" or sing to him. Currently, the song of choice is Silent Night. (I know it is now March, but he doesn't want to let go of this particular Christmas song.) He even knows when I begin the last verse and begs me to sing it again. I always have to warn him when it is the last time, which usually works.
  • Then there is the whole bee issue. This one is weird. Jack is obsessed with bees. He isn't exactly scared of them, but he is highly concerned. He keeps telling me he sees a bee. So, I have to do a room check to assure him there is no bee. If he sees a little piece of fuzz or lint on his bedding, he will be convinced it is a bee. The other day he thought a small hole in his sheet was a bee. We often hear him on the monitor saying, "BEE, BEE! A bee Mommy, a bee!" This can go on for a long time. I should say, the bee thing is not limited to bedtime. Bizarre.

Gotta love it. He just wants to stay up with us!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Silent Night is the most favorite bedtime song at our house. We sing it year round.

Kim said...

With the exception of the "bee" one, those all remind me of Joseph. He was and STILL IS the master of stalling at bedtime. It still takes and hour for him to go to bed. Silent Night was a favorite of Joe's too, for a long time.