Monday, July 13, 2009

Big Boy Underwear

No, Jack isn't potty trained. He isn't remotely ready to start, but he is very fond of his superhero underwear. Last week we went shopping and Jack was drawn to the display of kids underwear...likely because they had such great themes like Elmo and the Super Friends. After fighting him in the store, I broke down and bought a package since I'm going to have to start potty training soon anyway. He picked them out himself; surprisingly, he didn't want Elmo, but was adamant that he wanted the ones with the superheroes.

I explained what they were as we walked back to the car. By the time we got home, he had gotten a pair out and put them on himself (although both legs were through one leg hole, but he didn't care.) I tried to take them off before getting him out of the car, but he kept pushing me away, telling me "no." So, I relented and he proceeded to waddle around the house with his Superman underwear.

When I changed his diaper, he threw a fit and wanted to wear the underwear instead. Potty training can't possibly be this easy. I thought, what can it hurt? (I should know better by now, shouldn't I?) He loved them. He ran to the mirror to check himself out, laughing and licking his reflection...don't ask me why he does half of what he does...

He peed in them almost immediately, leaving a big mess on the carpet for me to clean. He didn't care that he was wet and still fought me over removing them. We finally reached a compromise. He now wears them over his diaper and couldn't be happier when he has them on...Superman appears to be his favorite.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Awesome. Mel loves her Princess undies, but I bet she'd like the superhero ones too.

Sheri said...

I hate potty training. I just wanted to get that out there.

Jack sounds like such a character. My kids always like superheros the best too.

Teresa said...

Apparently, he does not want to wear "The Flash." Not sure why, maybe he doesn't like orange.

Kim said...

The Flash was always one of Joe's favorites. Jack is adorable.