Friday, February 6, 2009

The Happiest Sick Baby Ever

Yesterday I was playing on the computer and Jack wanted a turn. I sat him on my lap while he excitedly manipulated the keyboard. I leaned over and kissed his head and was surprised that he was burning hot. Fever of 102.8. Shocking because he wasn't acting sick. I gave him Motrin and he fell asleep during dinner that night, which is very unusual. During the night his fever got as high as 103 and Motrin would drop it a little, but not very much. I took him to the doctor this morning and was told he has strep throat. As always, they were surprised at how he doesn't usually act sick. Poor baby. You know you are not feeling right when you fall asleep mid-bite.

As a mom I was not prepared for the fact that I would feel so much of what he experiences. I cry when he cries. I physically hurt when he hurts. The amount of empathy I experience is amazing.

3 comments:

LauraB said...

Poor little guy! Tell him Papa's been sick this week, too.

Sheri said...

Sick babies are the worst. It's so hard to see your child in pain and not be able to do anythin.

Hope Jack gets better soon!

Kim said...

Poor Jack. It really seems to be going around right now.

I get the empathy thing. It never goes away either. It's just part of that bond between a mom and their kids.