Thursday, September 4, 2008

Political Baby?


Baby Jack was pretty funny last night as we were watching the Republican National Convention. Since I try to keep this blog to specifically share information on Jack, I will try to share the story without too much in the way of political opinion from me; those who know me well know that is all but impossible...

Anyway, we were feeding Jack when the first of the speeches started. Mit Romney was speaking to the crowd and got them chanting "NO" in response to something. I wasn't really listening, as I am not a Romney fan since I don't agree with him on immigration. (I know, let the debate begin from my Arizona readers.) Stuart, however, liked him because he believes you must first show you can successfully run a business before you can try to run the country. I digress, but I did warn you I would. Anyway, Jack started shaking his head "no" enthusiastically, in unison with the speech. We were cracking up at that. Then, as I was giving him his bath, Huckabee was speaking in the background. (I think I must be crazy, but I really found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said. I was shocked since I had written him off as a religious zealot!) Jack was laughing along with the crowd at his comments.

At this point it was bedtime, but I delayed putting him down because I really didn't want to miss the speeches from Guiliani and Palin. When Guiliani came on the screen, Jack started reaching for the TV, getting all excited, waving, and trying to get closer. It was too funny! I thought, well, there is no doubt this is our baby, he seems to be a republican! I've never been so proud.

OK, now I will really digress. I was so thrilled at Sara Palin's speech. She was great! McCain really wasn't my first choice. Although I have voted for him for years in Arizona, there were others I preferred as our presidential candidate, but Palin was awesome! When she began to speak I was actually a bit emotional to see that we could potentially have a woman as our next VP. I felt the same pride and emotion when Obama began his speech at the DNC last week, until, of course, he started spelling out his plans and I remembered that we can't afford his idealism. (My taxes are high enough and I don't think it is the government's responsibility to fix everything.) But, Sara Palin was speaking my language. She was amazing. (And, by the way, how come the media hasn't asked Obama how he plans to be president and raise 2 small children?! Completely unfair!)

Anyway, I got off subject enough here for one day. Remember to vote (no matter what your convictions!) I'll leave you with a cute pic of my little boy!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I didn't catch all of the speeches, just bits and pieces of Romney and Guiliani, but I did catch all of Sara Palin's speech, and I am right with you. She was awesome.

Up until now, I didn't really know much about her, but she seemed to talk more specifics than ideals. I also loved how she took all of the things the media were saying about her and addressed them. She seems to be a smart woman. I am excited about her.

Sorry to make this political, I can't help it. I'm with you though - I'm not going to tell you HOW you should vote, just make sure you VOTE! (do your research first though, so it's an educated vote that represents who you are the most.)

It's good that you got Jack to watch with you. Start him off young. I'm afraid Joseph didn't have much interest in the political stuff, I'm going to have to do better.

LauraB said...

THAT'S MY GIRL!!!! I'm proud of you introducing Jack to the process at the age of 1!! When he's up giving his speech at the convention years down the road, he can relate the story of his Mom letting his stay up for the 2008 convention speeches!!

Sheri said...

The important question is: What did Jack think about Obama?