Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Allen Men are SICK

Well, the last two days in this house have not been fun. Stuart woke up Sunday night/Monday morning violently ill with the stomach flu. Stuart is completely unable to do anything when he is sick. What is all that about anyway? When I'm sick I still have to take care of my obligations. I just work through it. Women are expected to carry on in adversity. Not fair! But, I digress. So, I spent a very early Monday morning taking care of him. I do feel bad as he really is very sick. This would not be a problem, except he watches Jack until our nanny comes at 9am. So, after taking care of my dying husband, I had the privilege of conducting a 7:30am meeting with my boss and peers while holding Jack and trying desperately to keep him quiet. Talk about multi-tasking. It wasn't my most professional performance at work. When the nanny left at 3pm, Stuart was dead asleep and I had little Jack to myself. Not a big deal, except apparently Jack caught the bug from dad that evening. Diarrhea, vomiting, and a fever. Other than that, you wouldn't know he is sick. He continues to smile and laugh through it all. Now he is a trooper! (Takes after his mom you know.) My evening was tiring as I am used to help from my partner and with Jack being sick, he really wanted to be held all night. Can't imagine being a single parent!

So, Stuart is still in bed today. Jack is doing well with Candice (as always) although he hasn't really eaten anything since 3pm yesterday. (We're struggling to get him to keep Pedialyte down!) And me? Well, because Stuart couldn't watch Jack this morning, I couldn't go into the office as planned. By the time Candice got here, my meetings were starting and I didn't have time to drive 1+ hours to the office, so I am working from home. I am a bit of a zombie, not having much sleep over the last 2 nights. Just be glad I didn't post an associated picture with this report!

4 comments:

Sheri said...

No offense to Stuart but men are such babies when they are sick. Ian is the absolute worst. Every time he's sick he thinks he's terminally ill.

LauraB said...

Bummer - you should have called me!

Teresa said...

Why make anyone else suffer?

Kim said...

I feel bad for you. I hope your men are feeling better soon!

It's true about men and women. When Brian is sick he gets to lay in bed all day. When I am sick I still have to get up and do all the things I normally do. Ok, maybe not everything, I do slack off some, but most everything.