Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Year's Eve

This past New Year's Eve, something strange happened. Our family stayed up until midnight to ring in the new year. This hasn't happened since Jack was born, and actually longer, since I was pregnant for New Year's Eve in 2006, I was too tired to stay up that late...so this is the first time since 2005!

We celebrated 4 houses down the street with a neighborhood party. I was so proud of Jack. We walked in and there was a couple there we had not met. Jack went up and introduced himself, "I'm Jack." Awesome!

Uh, despite how much food you see, there weren't that many of us there.

We had a lot of fun.


Check out my cute husband.


The idea was for a few of the older kids to babysit the younger ones downstairs. One was 13 and the other two were 12. Either they weren't quite ready to be babysitters, or they were more interested in hanging out with each other, but either way it didn't go quite as smooth as planned. Anyway, in the course of the playing, the older kids were running around in the basement, locking each other out of various bedrooms while the little ones were watching a movie on the couch. At one point, Jack ran over to see what was going on and got his finger slammed in the door. Bad. It was smashed so flat I was certain it was broken. (I think the appearance of his finger completely dented in and flat freaked out Jack a little too.) Thank goodness our hostess is a nurse. This picture was taken a couple of days later...still looks painful, but much better than it looked previously.


I walked home with Jack to get his blanket and tried to get him to go to sleep, but he said his finger hurt too bad to sleep. So, Jack and the 3 older kids stayed up till midnight. (He is such a happy kid, even when he is hurt.)









They even had sparklers.



I think I got more use out of his blanket than he did.


At 1am we gave up on Jack going to sleep and I carried him home (in my heels...good thing we were close by.) Stuart stayed a little longer and we all went to bed at 1:30am! I love our neighborhood.


A new injury for Jack isn't the best way to start out the new year...my poor baby.

3 comments:

LauraB said...

Oooooo.. that finger thing would have made me light-headed! That happened to Jackie Arnett years ago at church in my classroom - I was the one that about fainted looking at the flat finger! Hope his finger is fine now!!

Kim said...

I hope Jack's finger has since healed!

Other than that, it looks like you had a good time.

Sheri said...

You do live in an awesome neighborhood.