Friday, January 14, 2011

Anticipation

It all started around Christmas. My dad made us a very generous offer to watch Jack for 2 days so Stuart and I could get away. Since I have rarely slept through an entire night uninterrupted in the last 3 years, I was ecstatic at the opportunity. Stuart was a little resistant. For some reason we seemed to run into trouble agreeing on something. He wanted to go to Vegas, but money was tight so he didn't think that was a good idea unless we drove. I didn't want to spend 10 hours of my 2 days away in a car. I suggested Sedona, but he thought that was boring. (I was more than a little insulted by that.) He suggested we skip the whole thing and take Jack to go visit his family in Canada. I agreed, but then he said he didn't want to spend the money to go when it was so cold. I got more than a little frustrated. I cried. I really was excited about the idea of getting away, so I offered to compromise and drive to Vegas. He was lukewarm to the idea. Everything was met with mild interest at best.

ARGH! This went on for a few weeks. Well, last Friday, while Stuart was at work, Jack had a playdate. I vented to my friend about Stuart's lack of interest in getting away. (Hey, I know, I know, but I was plenty frustrated at this point.) She suggested I let my dad watch Jack and go away by myself. (Trust me, I was tempted at this point, but really wanted some time with Stuart.) No sooner than we got home did we get a call from Stuart. He said he really thought we needed a vacation, but he wanted it to be worth the time and money. So, he booked a trip for the 3 of us to Hawaii! He remembered a coupon book I had shown him from Costco travel with some great deals. (Yes, I feel bad about all my complaining.) It's a great surprise and we could all use some time away as a family. There is one little problem. We made the mistake of telling Jack. He's pretty excited.

He wakes up each morning asking if we are going on an airplane today. (I think he is more excited about the airplane ride then he is about going to the beach.) He packed his suitcase a few days ago and insisted I put it in the back of my Jeep.

Maybe we should have waited to tell him...

3 comments:

LauraB said...

Aloha, Jack! Hope Astro Boy makes it through security!

Kim said...

That's awesome. Have fun on your trip.

Sheri said...

I am so jealous! You're going to have so much fun!